Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Observations of My Generation of College Students

Just a quick observation relating to my previous post:

I think there's a fundamental difference between people of my generation and those of earlier college attendees. There's a sense of student entitlement felt by educators (but I'm sure it's felt in retail and services, too). People my age do not feel privileged by much. If we're paying for something, we want it - as Burger King so eloquently states - "our way". I think I was witnessing this phenomenon today when one of our staff members was sending out notices to delinquent borrowers. The number of extreme overdue/lost library items seems to have grown in recent years, and I think it's due to a few core reasons:

-Students are busier today than they ever were in the past. This isn't an excuse for never returning library books, it's a reason.
-That sense of entitlement.
-The general disjointed way of life that many young people live. Many of my friends are still moving from apartment to apartment, or buddy's couch as the case may be. They might have a phone one day, but not the next. The same goes for transportation, money, food, or anything else required to live a relatively "settled" life. God I sound old, but many of us need to get our priorities straight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home